1 a judgment disposing of the matter without a trial [syn: judgment of dismissal, judgement of dismissal]
3 permission to go; the sending away of someone
4 the termination of someone's employment (leaving them free to depart) [syn: dismission, discharge, firing, liberation, release, sack, sacking]
Dismissal may refer to:
- In litigation, a dismissal the result of a successful motion to dismiss. See motion (legal).
- In employment law, a dismissal is the termination of a contract of employment.
- In the sport of cricket, a dismissal is also known as taking a wicket or getting the batsman out. See dismissal (cricket).
- The Australian constitutional crisis of 1975 was commonly known as, and dramatised for television as, the Dismissal.
- In the sport of Association Football, a dismissal is the expulsion of a player from the field of play by the referee for serious misconduct.
- At church services, the dismissal is the final benediction given at the end of the service.
- In Eastern Orthodox liturgics, the dismissal hymn (apolytikion) is the troparion of the day.
- Related words, such as "dismissed" could mean:
abjuration, abjurement, absolution, acquittal, acquittance, adjournment, bounce, breakup, brush-off, cancellation, cashiering, chucking, chucking out, clearance, clearing, cold shoulder, compurgation, conge, contempt, contradiction, cut, deactivation, declination, declining, deconsecration, defrocking, demobilization, denial, deposal, deposition, deprivation, despisal, despising, destigmatization, destigmatizing, detachment, dethronement, diaspora, disapproval, disbandment, disbarment, disbarring, discard, discharge, disclamation, discounting, discrownment, disculpation, disemployment, disenthronement, disintegration, disorganization, disownment, dispersal, dispersion, displacement, displacing, disregard, dissolution, drumming out, end, exception, exclusion, excommunication, exculpation, excuse, exoneration, expulsion, firing, forced resignation, forced separation, forgiveness, furloughing, ignoring, impeachment, kicking upstairs, layoff, liquidation, nonacceptance, nonapproval, nonconsideration, notice, ousting, overthrow, overthrowal, pardon, parole, parting, passing by, pensioning off, pink slip, purgation, purge, purging, putting away, putting out, quietus, quittance, rebuff, recantation, refusal, rejection, release, remission, removal, renouncement, repudiation, repulse, retirement, sack, sacking, scouting, separation, snub, split-up, spurning, superannuation, surplusing, suspension, the ax, the boot, the bounce, the gate, the sack, throwing out, ticket, turning out, unbinding, unbolting, unbridling, unbuckling, uncaging, unchaining, unchurching, unfettering, unfrocking, ungagging, unhanding, unharnessing, unhobbling, unlashing, unlatching, unleashing, unlocking, unloosing, unmanacling, unmuzzling, unpenning, unseating, unshackling, unstrapping, untethering, untrussing, untying, unyoking, verdict of acquittal, vindication, walking papers